Posted on April 8, 2009
PRESS RELEASE – April 7, 2009
The Taos Peace House and Infoshop
801 Paseo Del Pueblo Norte, Taos, New Mexico 87571 USA
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 424 – Arroyo Seco, NM 87514 USA
WORLD PEACE WEEK
May 26 – 31, 2009 – TAOS, NEW MEXICO – USA
PEACE IS POSSIBLE – Implementing a Strategy for Peace, Social Justice and a Sustainable Future.
Music – Speakers – Theater – Dance – Poetry – Workshops – Art Shows – Films – Campaigns – Plenaries
WHAT DOES PEACE ENABLE ME TO DO?
Attend a uniquely participatory conference that will focus on proactive strategies for achieving peace, social justice, and a sustainable future, locally and globally. The days of listening to speakers preach to the choir are over. It’s time to fulfill the prophecies that say “we are the ones we’ve been waiting for.”
Grassroots peace activists at the Taos Peace House are organizing the World Peace Week which will be held this year from May 26-31, 2009. This will be the first of a continuing series of annual conferences that will galvanize viable actions for peace. World Peace Week volunteers are using the empowering democratic process of formal consensus rather than top down management to make decisions inspiring dedication and creativity.
You can create a campaign for peace in countless ways. A few examples might be: education through cultural and religious appreciation, biodiversity, alternative energy, universal health care and corporate divestment. Participants will return to their communities to implement these strategies and reconvene in 2010 to assess progress and plan further strategies to build on their success.
Our goal is to unite people using the cooperative process of formal consensus rather that top down management. We invite people from all walks of life – peace activists, visionaries, alternative energy and sustainability experts, economists, authors, poets, musicians, actors, artists, filmmakers – to create the blueprint for a totally new socio-political paradigm. Peace is possible if we all share our vision. Please join us in building a tapestry of hope.
Registration for the entire week is $175, with a sliding scale of $100 to $250. Funds collected over the $175 fee will be used for a registration scholarship fund as needed. The daily attendance rate is $30, although we recommend week-long participation. To encourage participation by young people for the week: ages 12 -18 are $10 and children under 12 are free at the conference, both with accompanying adult registration; World Youth Peace Camp is $85, with adult registration at the conference. Work exchange and barter is available, and no one will be excluded for lack of funds.
May 26-29: Tuesday through Friday – Taos Convention Center
May 29-30: Friday evening, Saturday all day – Kachina Lodge Convention Room
May 31: Sunday – Free Peace Concert all day at Kit Carson Park – Looking for Performers to play free for the community.
World Peace Week – 3 Track Program
- Planned Presenters / Programs / Events
- Open Space Technology – schedule planned daily for anyone wishing to offer a program who didn’t have the chance to get on the planned events schedule – an impromptu venue
- Plenaries – planning our strategy for implementing peace in our local communities and with our affinity groups
Current Potential Presenters/Programs:
- Taking the War out of the Drug War
- Fatoosh Fatoosh – from New York – a poetry/musical group with a focus on the Palestinian/Israeli conflict
- We are the Drum
- Non-Violent Communication
- Veterans For Peace – Winter Soldier panel/large display in the park/ support for veterans
- Healing the Scars
- Peace is in our DNA
- Sacred Activism: Holding your Center as the Heart
- Food Not Lawns
- Formal Consensus Decision Making Training
- Grassroots Jerusalem
- Benefit Concert for World Peace Week
- Leonard the Flute Player
- Workshops on Multi-State Organizing
- Reinventing the Wheel – The Universal Medicine Wheel – Tool for Global Unity
- Taos Cannabis Action Network
World Youth Peace Camp
Amazing Youth and Family Program Every Day!
» Filed Under Uncategorized